Vertical-vs-Grand action.

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Thu Dec 21 11:29:02 MST 2006

Greetings,

Here is something that I sent to the CAUT list a while ago, but don't
think it went to pianotech yet.  It's more anecdotal evidence to
support what Mark has said.

I write to you today to report an interesting experience we have had at
CalArts this past semester.  For some of you, this information is
“yesterday’s paper.”  For others, it may be a welcome introduction.

It all began innocently enough with a complaint about inadequate
repetition on a particular note of one of our performance pianos.
Going over the regulation adjustments with a fine toothed comb helped a
bit, but fell short of an adequate remedy.  The hammers have been filed
a few times and, as you've probably guessed by now, there was
insufficient hammer weight for good repetition (upweight in the upper
teens as opposed to the mid twenties).  Judicious application of
“small” and “mini” binder clips to the hammer shank enabled a
substantial improvement in repetition. (The clips are readily available
through your local office supply store for just pennies each and may be
fine tuned for weight by sliding large center pins into to holes left
open after removing the “ears” upon installation of the clip itself.)

As with other maladies that rear their ugly heads, if something has
gone bad with one note, it’s usually a good idea to check the others.
Sure enough, they all benefited from increased down and up weights via
shank clips (and the attendant re-regulation of rep. spring tension,
rep. lever height, drop, backchecking and parameters affecting
aftertouch.)  Hammer replacement is scheduled at the next available
opportunity, but this looked to be a good “bridge” measure to hold us
over until then.

So far, nothing unusual about all that.  What we thought was worth
sharing was this: Although we hadn’t told our community of pianists
that we had done anything at all, unsolicited praises and adulation
(what a breath of fresh air!) immediately started coming in about the
great voicing work we had allegedly done.  Sometimes it is tempting to
take credit for something you haven’t done but are credited for
anyway—like when you clean the keys and it feels so much nicer to touch
that someone thinks you performed major action work.  But in this
instance, we decided to tell the truth and leveled with them about what
we did with the clips.  Their response to the operation was so
positively unanimous that we proceeded to perform the same operation on
other grands whose up and down weights were getting a little lean.
Again, we didn’t prejudice anyone by telling them what we had done, and
again, players noticed welcomed improvements in both touch AND tone.

It is common knowledge that, ultimately, touch and tone are inseparable
issues.  This is as important an axiom for piano players as it is for
us technicians.  But we were really surprised.  Had the additional
weight been added in the form of newer, high-quality hammers of the
proper weight, the improvements would have been quite predictable.  But
to sound noticably better as a result of simply adding more weight to
the shank in the form of a cousin to the paper clip came quite
unexpectedly.  This held true for a variety of pianos of different
makes and models, and was noticed by faculty and students alike.  What
can we surmise from this?  That something in the players approach to
the otherwise same instrument resulted in improved tone, something
elicited by greater strike weight and the attendant regulation
adjustments in pursuit of better repetition "improved" the tone?

This technique has been covered in convention classes before: A
Bosendorfer voicing class and Richard Davenport’s “Prelude to Hammer
Replacement” come to mind.  (Davenport mentioned extensive use of shank
clips as an alternative to doing nothing at all in situations where
hammer replacement and all that should go with it are not an option for
economic reasons.)  In our recent experience at CalArts we had such
dramatic feedback that we felt compelled to offer our testimonial.
Does this scenario ring a bell for anybody else out there?

Thanks,

Alan Eder RPT