physically getting Hammers OFF shanks

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Thu Dec 21 08:33:13 MST 2006

Dale:

I am right now in the process of taking some hammers off shanks.  I have
a hammer removing tool, but only use it if I want to save the hammers
for some reason (they're not totally shot and there might be a piano
around here with a lower priority that could use these.)  Most of the
time, however, I just cut them off as I'm doing now.  A hefty pair of
diagonal cutters will split the tail and then pull them off and throw
them away.  I've always found that faster than the hammer puller.

How does this new tool do with the glue collar?

dp

David M. Porritt

dporritt at smu.edu