German Loop on low Bass

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 22 19:14:52 MST 2006

John the Delacour said: " As to any supposed superiority of the
German eye, let alone the double German eye, I will suspend judgment
until I have produced experimental data to compare them. "

John,
I've already done several "experiments", mostly on Chickering 1/4 Grands
that have an ungodly short back-scale.The first one I did was originally
strung with a standard English loop. The bottom 5 notes were like listening
to a Spinet!! Redid with German loops and the low end became MUCH better!
There IS a difference IMO.
However, "experiment" all you want, I suspect you'll come to the same
conclusion.
On the topic of Double Wound vs Single Wound, I prefer the single wound
sound, (there is a difference!<G>) Also, I've found that Double Wound Low
Bass strings seem to get a bit thumpy in a short period of time as opposed
to the Single Wraps. Just my experience. YMMV.<G>
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I