German loops on M Bass strings

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Dec 23 03:57:31 MST 2006

Ron

This strikes me as a mix of yes's and no's... do's and dont's in what we
should /actually/ do.  Yes we should open our minds to what has merit
and what hasn't... but it most certainly doesn't stop there.  I don't
see things anywhere near as black and white as the finish to your first
sentence sounds to me.  Merit in itself is a very wide concept. And what
we deem meritable today can and very often is less then meritable
tomorrow.

The argument of successful products is one I raise more then anyone else
here so I'll pick up the ball here.  It is not meant to underline and
confirm the superiority of each or for that matter any particular
aspect.  Rather it is meant to remind each of us as to how wide the
concept of Merit (as used in our context here) ends up being. While what
you say is true, it is equally true that it is wrong to simply write the
significance of success or simply without further ado attribute it
wholly to a fickle and easily manipulated market. Especially when
success reaches such numbers as it has in certain instances.

NONE of this should in the end have ANY impact on the value pursuing the
goals inherent in your closing statement.  The danger has always been to
instead replace one set of myths with another... one deity with
another.  Its been done time and time and time again in every branch...
and each and every time those who are part of the process of a switch in
the order of things are every bit as certain of themselves and every bit
as aggressive in defense of themselves as their predecessors. When THAT
happens... all the real good that is embodied in your last sentence gets
clouded... and more so in the course of time, economics, and market
realities with exactly the kind of fanciful stuff one first states one
wants to avoid.

Bottom line... go for it... but keep a large lump of humility in ones
pocket as to what constitutes concepts like <<knowledge>>,
<<improvements>>, <<better>>.  Most of the time these end up being just
plain <<beliefs>>, <<changes>>, and <<tastes>>.

In any case...  IMB.... its all very very cool.  All of it.  And should
you have any doubts at all as to the tone of my post here... let me just
say that in MY PERSONAL opinion... for what ever that is worth... the
piano you showed in Rochester was simply one of the finest looking,
finest sounding and finest playing grands I have ever had the pleasure
to run into.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas.
RicB

    We should simply endeavor to open our minds as to what has merit and
    what doesn't, and we need look no further than that. Furthermore, I
    have very little time for attributing the market success of certain
    makers to each and every design idea which they applied to their
    product. The argument that certain makers have been successful, and
    that their success is attributed to the superiority of each aspect of
    their design is fanciful stuff. A little intellectual rigor applied
    to each aspect of tone building with an open mind, will give us far
    more knowledge with which to advance the evolution of the piano.

    Ron O.