German loops on M Bass strings

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Sat Dec 23 06:57:08 MST 2006

Good reply Rick. Lots of good points.

>At 11:57 AM +0100 23/12/06, RicB wrote:
>
>This strikes me as a mix of yes's and no's... do's and dont's in
>what we should /actually/ do.  Yes we should open our minds to what
>has merit and what hasn't... but it most certainly doesn't stop
>there.  I don't see things anywhere near as black and white as the
>finish to your first sentence sounds to me.  Merit in itself is a
>very wide concept. And what we deem meritable today can and very
>often is less then meritable tomorrow.

I understand. But you know how it is when sometimes we react to
something that another contributor has written. Often there are other
aspects of an argument which warrant consideration but in the heat of
the moment are overlooked.

>. . . NONE of this should in the end have ANY impact on the value
>pursuing the goals inherent in your closing statement.  The danger
>has always been to instead replace one set of myths with another...
>one deity with another.

Yes this is always a danger.

>   Its been done time and time and time again in every branch... and
>each and every time those who are part of the process of a switch in
>the order of things are every bit as certain of themselves and every
>bit as aggressive in defense of themselves as their predecessors.
>When THAT happens... all the real good that is embodied in your last
>sentence gets clouded... and more so in the course of time,
>economics, and market realities with exactly the kind of fanciful
>stuff one first states one wants to avoid.
>
>Bottom line... go for it... but keep a large lump of humility in
>ones pocket as to what constitutes concepts like <<knowledge>>,
><<improvements>>, <<better>>.  Most of the time these end up being
>just plain <<beliefs>>, <<changes>>, and <<tastes>>.

I understand what you're saying.

Thanks for the year that was Pianotech listers. While this list has
its moments from time to time it remains overall a worthwhile
resource. I still believe Pianotech is the best internet piano forum
I have experienced to date.

Have a relaxing Christmas all.

Best regards,
Ron Overs.