German Loop on low Bass

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Dec 23 04:03:48 MST 2006

Hi Joe

Good post and I for one appreciate the qualification you give your
"experiement".  One should not write off peoples experiences anymore
then anything else I harp on about.  I suppose tho your re-looped
strings were also new strings and not the old strings with their
terminations changed yes ?

Which brings to mind.... has anyone done a side by side comparison with
new strings whose only difference is the loop itself... and if so is it
not possible to do a simple recording of the difference and publish it
for all to hear ?

Also... no one yet as really addressed Johns point about the attack
moment of a bass string vs the motivation for individual string sound
character.

Cheers
RicB

    John,
    I've already done several "experiments", mostly on Chickering 1/4 Grands
    that have an ungodly short back-scale.The first one I did was originally
    strung with a standard English loop. The bottom 5 notes were like
    listening
    to a Spinet!! Redid with German loops and the low end became MUCH
    better!
    There IS a difference IMO.
    However, "experiment" all you want, I suspect you'll come to the same
    conclusion.
    On the topic of Double Wound vs Single Wound, I prefer the single wound
    sound, (there is a difference!<G>) Also, I've found that Double
    Wound Low
    Bass strings seem to get a bit thumpy in a short period of time as
    opposed
    to the Single Wraps. Just my experience. YMMV.<G>
    Regards,

    Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
    Captain, Tool Police
    Squares R I