pitch raise question

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Sat Dec 23 15:01:54 MST 2006

Look again at the overpull options.  If you haven't selected "Measure every
note", you're missing one of TL's best features: its automatic calculation
of the correct overpull percent for every string.  The percents you list are
the maximums that it will use, in this case.

Here's how I use the overpull auto-measure:

1.  In the overpull options, tell TL the highest wound string (to avoid
breakage), and clear the history list.
2.  Set note-switching to "Manual only", and set TL to D#1.  Play the note,
and watch the upper-right-hand corner to see the overpull (or underpull)
that it calculates.  It does a very fast pitch measurement.
3.  Don't tune the note; go down to D1 and play it.  Repeat down to A0.
This step loads the history, so Robert can calculate a moving average (see
the lower left).
4.  Set note-switching to "Auto up".  Tune A0.
5.  Play A#0.  TL auto-switches to it, measures pitch, and calculates
overpull.  Tune and go up.  Notice after the monochords end, you need no
mutes, since you see all the strings in the spectrum display.

If the pitch measurement isn't right because of problems note-switching,
just click on "M".  In overpull mode, this activates the quick pitch
measurement.

After C8, go to the overpull dialog to turn it off.  The average overpull
appears near the "Clear history" button.  I find it useful to let the
customer know what this is.

--Cy--