pitch raise question

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Sat Dec 23 11:15:23 MST 2006

I think that the default you're referring to in TL is for 25 *cents*,
with the bass defaulting to 5 cents. The other figures are correct,
except Bob recommends 12% (I think) in the bass. IOW, the % figures are
used to design an "overpull curve" that will leave each string close to
its target pitch, while the cent limiters are there to avoid breakage. I
find these figures to work pretty well for pitch-raises up to about 20
cents or so...much past that and I generally plan on an additional pass
in overpull mode before fine tuning. I don't think that I've ever had a
string break using this system that wouldn't have broken anyway, so I
suspect that the limiters could be boosted a bit on most pianos.

- Mark Dierauf