pitch raise question

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Dec 23 04:25:57 MST 2006

>I don´t know how other ETD´s work, but verituners default setting for pitch
>raise overpull is 36 % in the diskant. What does this exactly mean?

Precisely my question: What does diskant mean? It's not in the dictionary.

> As I understood, this is the percentage of the difference between actual
> and target pitch.

Correct.

> So, if a piano is 100 cent flat, this would mean that one has to overpull
> the diskant by 36 cent. Is that true?

Yes.

> In the middle section it´s 30 % default, so A4 has to be overpulled by 30
> Cent = 7.5 Hertz. This can´t be true, or?

It is true. I use a Verituner. I don't recall what the default overpull
settings are, but I have mine set at: bass-23%, tenor-30% and treble-43%.

I'm using a bit higher percentage overpull than some folks might use, but I
like to error on the side of too sharp rather than too flat. Works for me.

Also, I'll second what Don said about pitch raises over 100 cents - IMHO
when a piano is in the range of 75+ cents flat it is imperative to do two
pitch raise passes to avoid using excessive overpull.

Just curious - why does overpulling a string 30 cents sharp of standard
pitch raise such alarm?

Terry Farrell