German Loop / French Loop / English Loop ?

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Sat Dec 23 07:36:08 MST 2006

JD and all,

When I first considered using the type of loop you posted below for
our new pianos, I had reservations about using them because of their
tendency to tighten on the hitch pin. The eye shown below is the very
version about which I held this reservation. This style of loop will
tend to tighten like a noose on the hitch pin.

I posted the example below of the style of double looped eye that we
use, a couple of days ago. As you can see this loop is centered on
the axis of the back length wire. This is achieved by first bending
the wire with a very tight bend (to the right, as you look at the
image below), before forming the loop/s. In addition to centering the
coil, eyes formed in this way will not tighten down onto the hitch
pin (provided that the loop is a relatively close fit to the diameter
of the hitch pin).

I conducted quite a few eye-making experiments, before coming up with
a jig which allowed me to make consistent double loop eyes.

Notice also that while the back scale wire segment will be raised
slightly, reducing the downbearing relative to an English twisted
eye, a double looped eye such as the one shown above won't reduce the
downbearing any more than will the single looped eye.

I recall someone mentioning this as a problem with using the looped
eye in pianos which were set up for English eyes. When building a
piano from scratch, or when the bridges are being recapped or
replaced this isn't a problem. But certainly, it should be given
consideration when setting the downbearing on instruments where the
original bridge is being retained without lowering the plate.

Hope that makes sense.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY