German Loop / French Loop / English Loop ?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Dec 23 08:39:09 MST 2006

Hi Ron

Thanks for both your replies on this thread.  This bit below clears up a
couple points for me. Yes,,, makes perfect sense.  Easy to overlook
things indeed.... :)  The point that the single and double loops will
effect downbearing changes about the same relative to the English (what
we call the French) loop (twisted) has to do with the coil around the
wire and not the loop itself I suppose.

I would still some more clarification as to reasonings back and forth
about which configuation seems to yield the best movement for the back
scale.  On the one hand,  the greater length of non-twisted string would
seem to be of benifit... but on the other hand... the twisted English
loop on a vertical hitch pin would seem to compensate for the twisted
wire by nature of the connection to the hitch pin.  More detail when you
and others get time.

Cheers... soon time to settle in for our various ways of enjoying
Christmas eve and Day.  I know for my part that at least some of the
good thoughts I will have in the next couple days will be for all of you
on this list.

RicB

    Notice also that while the back scale wire segment will be raised
    slightly, reducing the downbearing relative to an English twisted
    eye, a double looped eye such as the one shown above won't reduce the
    downbearing any more than will the single looped eye.

    I recall someone mentioning this as a problem with using the looped
    eye in pianos which were set up for English eyes. When building a
    piano from scratch, or when the bridges are being recapped or
    replaced this isn't a problem. But certainly, it should be given
    consideration when setting the downbearing on instruments where the
    original bridge is being retained without lowering the plate.

    Hope that makes sense.

    Ron O.
    --
    OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY