myths

Dave Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 23 10:00:04 MST 2006

On 12/23/06, Dean May quoth:

>Anecdotally, my experience is that marginal tuning pins are at their worst
>in mid winter. I am aware of someone on this list experimentally proving
>that holes shrink in dry wood. These two things seem contradictory.
>
>Perhaps the moisture content does more for gripping the pins than does the
>actual interference fit.

This is a fascinating subject for me. I have always found tuning pins
tighter in damper weather, but I have demonstrated to my own
satisfaction several times that when a board shrinks, a hole in it
will shrink as well, so they should be tighter in drier situations.
Im not sure what the answer is and would love to hear any ideas from
those wiser than I.
--
----Dave

Dave Doremus, RPT