pitch raise question

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Sat Dec 23 14:24:20 MST 2006

On Dec 23, 2006, at 11:09 AM, David Ilvedson wrote:
> I agree on no overpull from -100 cents.   I still don't overpull in
> anycase, other than leaving the rotation on the sharp side. right
> to pitch, unisons as I go and then do it all over again...I don't
> get these huge drops in pitch everyone seems to get with a pitch
> raise.   I WILL have to bring it up again a bit...10 cents maybe.
> Over-pulling for me would leave the piano on the sharp side for the
> second pass....maybe that's what some want...

This has been my experience as well. IMO, the perfect platform to do
a fine tuning from is 2-3 cents flat throughout, so I want it to be
slightly below pitch after the pitch raise. The only section of the
piano which I may have to rough tune twice is the high treble, and
that's only on those 60-100 cent raises.  As an aural tuner, getting
in my head about percentages and amounts of overpull really slows me
down and kills the flow, man. Let your body do it, quickly and
precisely.

David Andersen