myths

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 24 10:05:53 MST 2006

At 01:11 AM 12/23/2006, you wrote:
>From: "David Ilvedson" <ilvey at sbcglobal.net>
>To: pianotech at ptg.org
>Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:34:13 -0800
>Subject: RE: myths
>Message: 6
>
>Wally,
>
>Ivory is naturally bleached by sunlight.
>
>David Ilvedson, RPT
>Pacifica, CA  94044

So are some plastics. And I don't know what Wally means by
"scientific" evidence - but I can cite anecdotal evidence from my own
experience that this is indeed so. Back when I was working for the
Boston Steinway dealer (1990-91, well into the plastic era) we got a
call from a distraught woman with a 5 year-old Steinway B about
yellowed keys. I found that she kept in a totally darkened room - and
then one day something possessed her to open the shades, whereupon
she discovered that her keys were various shades of yellow...

Israel Stein