myths

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Sun Dec 24 18:17:21 MST 2006

Bruce,
         Generally I agree with your assessment of our craft and of
taking the time to do a thorough examination and perhaps light
cleaning of the instrument. If it gets too involved I request the
additional time/money to do more if I feel the customer is amenable
to "doing it right". Many of my customers want what you seem to
disdain though. The "just tune it" mentality pervades as many simply
assume you are simply after more money. If one is patient and willing
to go slow over a period of years, however, their trust can be gained
and more serious service can be given/sold. I like to remind
customers that there is much more to the musical experience than
simply pressing a key and getting a sound. I personally can't stomach
the "in/out, get my check and go" mentality or when there is more
supposed service given and more money charged but it still fits
within the time slot of a normal tuning effort or service call.
Generally I feel that if you're charging more it should take longer
when it's all service based. Parts are extra, of course. My two cents
anyway. I sleep pretty well.

all the best,
Greg Newell

P.S. For the who celebrate the tradition I wish you good holidays!