Bending action bracket bolts

Byron Quam byronquam at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 25 12:50:53 MST 2006

Hi All,

I have a customer that has a rebuilt Heintzman upright. The technician that
did the job put in new hammers but the hammers weren't aligned to the
strings. Especially in the bass, the hammers are too far to the right and
barely strike the left unison in the bi-chord section.

It almost seems that sometime during the rebuilding process the action
bracket bolts were bent. At least it seems that if the action bolts were
bent a bit to the left that the hammers would align closer to where they
should be.

My questions to this considerable brain trust are:

Has anyone run into a similar problem and solved it by bending the action
bracket bolts?

How does one go about bending action bracket bolts so that the possibility
of breaking them is kept to a minimum?

(God Forbid) Where would one find an assortment of action bracket bolts to
be able to replace a broken one? I notice that Pianophile (the supplier
where I get most of my parts) sells brackets that are 4 ¾" but I've a
feeling that this is maybe not a "one size fits all" sort of replacement.

Thanks for your help and a happy new year!

Byron Quam – Vancouver Canada