Agraffes in uprights

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Dec 26 08:55:50 MST 2006

> Recently, I have been getting more pressure from the marketing folks to
> design upright models with agraffes, preferably all the way up to #88.
> What do  you folks think about that?
>
> Frank Emerson

As a marketing tool, sure. It looks good listed in the
brochures with bass string length and soundboard area. The
piano can then be sold for a price difference greater than the
cost of agraffe installation, albeit in lesser quantity
because of the higher price. From a practical standpoint,
they'll maintain string spacing if the tuning pin field is
poorly laid out. Kimball comes immediately to mind here.
Otherwise, I'm not convinced there is a real performance
benefit to agraffes over the conventional V mound and pressure
bar.

You?

Ron N