Agraffes in uprights

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 26 09:07:31 MST 2006

I've always felt that verticals with agraffes have a clearer tone with less false beating.  The strings render well, too, making it easier to tune well.  JMHO

  Just to suggest an example: Two pianos: one w/agraffes, the other a S&S 1045 w/that huge pressure bar.  Which one would you want to tune?  Or play, for that matter?

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago

Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:
  > Recently, I have been getting more pressure from the marketing folks to
> design upright models with agraffes, preferably all the way up to #88.
> What do you folks think about that?
>
> Frank Emerson

As a marketing tool, sure. It looks good listed in the
brochures with bass string length and soundboard area. The
piano can then be sold for a price difference greater than the
cost of agraffe installation, albeit in lesser quantity
because of the higher price. From a practical standpoint,
they'll maintain string spacing if the tuning pin field is
poorly laid out. Kimball comes immediately to mind here.
Otherwise, I'm not convinced there is a real performance
benefit to agraffes over the conventional V mound and pressure
bar.

You?

Ron N