Agraffes in uprights

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 27 17:18:17 MST 2006

Hi Ron and others,

Thanks for all the responses.  You asked for my opinion on the topic, so
here it is:

I can think of no configuration with agraffes that would improve, and not
degrade, the high treble sections, as opposed to the pressure bar, although
I have considered a combination of half-agraffes with the pressure bar.  I
do like agraffes in the bass and tenor sections.  The bi-chord unisons
would benefit the most from agraffes, since it makes equal string lengths
within each unison more achievable.  I also like the half-agraffes (top cut
off), for ease in (re)stringing.  My only reservation about half agraffes
is in the lowest few notes of the piano.  It is often not possible to avoid
considerable side bear coming from the agraffe or agraffe pin to the tuning
pin for these few lowest notes of the piano.  I don't trust a half-agraffe
to be adequate to deal with the side bearing for these few notes.  I take
enough time to insure that the tuning pin alignment is such that string
spacing should not be a problem, and therefore not a significant benefit
from agraffes.  I am still mulling it over, and have not decided exactly
how to deal with these issues, but I'll let you know when I have a final
configuration for my next upright design.

Frank Emerson
pianoguru at earthlink.net