Quantifying What You Hear...

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Dec 29 19:30:12 MST 2006

Very tough prospect you outline. Musical decriptives are so very
individual and subject to personal tastes as well as personal language
usage patterns that even the most vague of terms are more often then not
far from universal enough to be of any real worth in the kind of
translations you evidently are after.

There are some terms that go down sort of a half way road between what
is quantifiable and what is simply purely subjective description.
"Brightness" for example is a term that you could to some degree
quantify in soundboard response isolated from all other issues.  Yet
something like "Harshness" is far more difficult as it implies a value
judgement.

You will be forced to hold yourself to as neutrally loaded words as you
can find that are at the same time descriptive in some musical sense.
And there are not all that many.  And you will be force to somehow
isolate these from other issues that can impact the end sound of the
finished whole instrument.

Touchy groundwork to walk on at best me thinks... tho I do follow your
reasoning and desire to make some kind of connection between the
quantifiable and musicality.

Cheers
RicB