Ethics confessions

pianolady50 at peoplepc.com pianolady50 at peoplepc.com
Fri Dec 29 20:07:03 MST 2006

An interesting point has been made that many of us have "done the dealer work".  Most of us have probably seen the myriad of problems with dealer-customer-independent tech relations. In that light, I offer the following.

Most of you know that I service (and rebuild) player pianos.  From my warped perspective, there is a very real joy in hearing and seeing an old player performing as new.  Anyway, because of my player piano knowledge I was often called upon to do the "initial free call" on sales of used players from the 60's - 80's.  Mind you, with the exception of one, none of these dealers wanted me to evaluate or service any of these instruments before they were sold.  I was being hired to make sure the sale stuck.  Rule number one was - NEVER try a test roll if the customer was within hearing distance.  If a song roll sounded okay to the customer then don't let them find out some notes may not work.  After all it was the dealer that was paying me.

You know what?  I didn't like it.  I didn't feel good at the end of the day.  The customer knew nothing and was happy, but I wasn't.  In very short order, I quit doing those calls and generally a "new" store tech would be sent out to take care of a free tuning.  Sometimes the tech would phone me with problems/questions.  I would do my best to talk them through over the phone.

>From that point and for many years until I moved from the area, I only did warranty work for the tech that I had apprenticed with.  I knew that we shared the same values and that he would stand by the pianos he sold.  That I have never regretted.

Debbie