Quantifying What You Hear...

Karl kaputt karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 30 07:43:39 MST 2006

Matt,

very interessting question. I am psychologist and did two work experiences
in the field of psychoacoustics, one of these at the Daimler Benz AG
(Mercedes), the other at SASS, the company of Prof. Rudolph Bisping. Indeed,
the only way to combine objective with subjective desprictions is to test
many many subjects.

The situation of cars and intstruments is similiar because of its dynamic
and not static state. Prof. Bisping argues that there are several levels:
-acoustic (=physical like dB, spectum......)
-psychoacoustic (loudness, tonality, roughness, sharpness,
impulse-perception, consonance, contrast......)
-emotional (fun, sympathy, surprise....)
-cognitive (verbal classification, coping, wishes, thoughts, anticipations)
-behavioural (motor activity, psychophysical reaction and to buy or not to
buy a Mercedes!)

Almost all car companies have psychoacoustic departments. They give subjects
different sounds (artificial or real car sounds) and let these rate by
subjects. If artificial: they modify the sounds by computers and look at the
psychoacoustic (ie subjective) outcome. So, every company should have own
databases with correlations between physical and psychological measurements,
but I am shure that the results won´t be published!

An interessting approach comes from Bismark. He developed a schema to
calculate the "feeling of good sound" (in terms of sharpness) from the
spectral analysis:

Bismarck, G. von; Sharpness as an attribute of the timbre of steady sounds.
Acoustica 28 (1974), 159.

E. Terhardt and G. Stoll correlated subjective with other subjective
measures. They found that "good sound" depends on roughness (see Helmholtz),
sharpness (Bismarck) and tonality.

Hope that helps. A good source for further research might be the journal
Acoustica.

Gregor