Quantifying What You Hear...

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Sat Dec 30 03:44:52 MST 2006

Hello Matt.

You are after the holy graal of the piano technician/designer.
Just a thought : if you must quantify a quality, maybe the best way to
approach is doing statistics among a large group of attendees.
Now, go and quantify "personnality" ... while for the individual who thinks
"this piano has personnality", he can be very sure of that, for himself.
So, in my opinion, scientific analyse could be the wrong tool for the
purpose.  I personnaly would lend towards analogic thinking and personnal
experience to build up a certain "truth" which would enlight only me, as in
this whole matter, it is about a certain analogy between the outer world
(the piano) and the inner world (my soul), which raises, or doesn't raise, a
certain kind of resonance (the aesthetical jubilation).
Most probably, the rest is about measuring proportions, amplitudes and decay
times of combined sinusoidal acoustic waves.
Anyway, the research is great.

Happy new year to you and all.

Stéphane Collin.