Quantifying What You Hear...

Matt Borland mattborland at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 17:37:07 MST 2006

Hello,

I'm new to this list, but I was wondering if I could get some
help/opinions/ideas about the way sound in musical instruments is
described. Currently I'm doing a masters working with Stephen Birkett
at the University of Waterloo and one of the big problems we have found
is the inability to discuss musical acoustics in any quantifiable way
that has meaning to both musicians and people using a scientific
approach (not to say that people can't fall into both of those groups
at the same time). My work is going to involve piano soundboards, but
before I start on that I want to think about and define some ways to
describe the sound/tone of the soundboards and pianos I will be
measuring for vibrational and acoustic properties.  I think we've all
used words like bright, muddy, crisp, sharp, round, dark, etc. to
describe the sound of an instrument, but these are highly subjective
words that are difficult to draw any concrete conclusions from. So the
question is, are there any other parameters you feel would be useful to
quantify? Maybe there is a way to measure how "bright" something
sounds...If you have a concept and some sort of definition to go along
with it I'd love to hear from you.

Some obvious ones (if these are poorly defined, feel free to redefine
them) are:

decay time - the time it takes for sound level to decay by a defined
amount (ie 60dB, or whatever, I'm thinking of the RT60 definition for
reverberation time from acoustics) linked to sustain
impedance - a measure of opposition to motion of a structure subjected
to a force
bloom - change in tone over time
response time - is the time a system or functional unit takes to react
to a given input

Basically I would like to make the link between the frequency and modal
analysis techniques available with the language that musical
instruments are discussed in terms of. I really doubt anyone has talked
about how nice the mode shapes of their pianos are, but maybe if things
like this are connected to the way they sound by some common definition
or understanding then they could be used to measure the properties of
an instrument. I would also like to make the link between these
techniques and the way we perceive sound and pitch, something that I
feel has been forgotten in a lot of research work.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Matt Borland