Quantifying What You Hear...

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 30 09:45:08 MST 2006

Matt-

You should not assume a "one size fits all" tone standard.

Different performers listen for different things, and many hardly listen.  Do not assume that academic status is a measure of musical sensitivity.

The way the sound changes over time may be more important to musical expression than a generalized, averaged spectrum. How percussive is the attack, how quickly does the sustain sound come to a focus, how quickly does it decay?

Some music demands articulate, focused passage work, other music works by building a sense of "big resonance" by piling up argeggios and chords, other music demands exquisite balance or contrast between melody and accompaniment.  These are very different demands made of the piano and performer.

None of this is a product of soundboard only; it is always the result of everything working together(including room and performer...and maybe even audience!)

One possible experiment would be to have several different pianos and ask several performers "Which one do you prefer for Scarlatti, which for Beethoven, which for Chopin, Debussey, etc.?"  Then (after they have answered) ask them why, what do they hear, what does the piano do that makes it better for Scarlatti?  (Some musicians are not very good with words; if you offer them a word they will usually grab it.  You need to wait for them to find their own words.)

You might consider that finding out what musicians say in such a situation is valuable research.  I would urge you not to try to make musicians say things that fit easily with your view of things.  A musical instrument without a musician to play it is meaningless.

Good luck!

Ed Sutton