class rebuild work

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Sep 1 15:03:55 MDT 2006

That's a mighty fine looking shank repair. Also, hopefully unique!

I wasn't quite that inventive, but yesterday I had a first for me. I went to
tune an older Kawai grand that had one non-functional note (also the reason
it was finally time to tune it after four years).

I could see that the hammer and shank were not connected to the hammer rail
But I could also see that the flange was still in place. So I pull out
action. The center pin was still in the flange. The shank had the grain
oriented in the horizontal plane. The shank had split in two - and the split
went right through the shank center pin bushing holes. Amazing - I had never
before seen that.

I CAed the shank back together and rebushed and repinned. The action will be
coming to my shop after the first of the year for proper repairs and
regulation, etc.

Terry Farrell