class rebuild work

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 1 21:46:56 MDT 2006

Is this a trend in Chickering rebuilds?
I just tuned a 1903 8' Chickering.  This new customer
just moved here from Conneticut.  The piano had been
"rebuilt" several years ago and I found tuning pins
from 2's to 6's.  Some of these were barely had enough
torque to hold.  The pin block was one that was made
in four sections.  The movers scuffed and scratched
the piano quite a bit.  We did a lot of finish repair
on top of a refinishing job that was bad to start
with. Fancy legs, scroll work on music shelf...

It could be a great piano if they would turn loose and
let us do a real rebuild on it, but it's not going to
happen.  Oh, well, still plenty of other fish to fry.

Bob Hull