Question about blackening sharps

Jeffrey Atkisson jeffkiss at sonic.net
Fri Sep 1 23:55:20 MDT 2006

Hi
First time posting here.

Does anyone know if there is a standard procedure for blackening sharps.

I have a set which had an ugly finish - shiny and wavy gravy.
I stripped them and the ebony is quite "blond" in color - sort of tiger
striped.

I can't figure out how to get them to take stain. (wood being so
extremely dense).
I have attempted to "paint" them with shellac mixed with iron oxide
pigment (very nice black).
But I cant get a good surface  without sanding through at the corners.

This is all to say - I am clueless.
What do the factories do?
Any standard tricks for a standard look?

Thanks,

Jeff