advice about used Knight

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Sun Sep 3 08:59:45 MDT 2006

 Hi List,

A client had me look at a Knight upright.  It's about 30 years old, has been played very little, and aside from some minor cracking at the bass bichord bridge pins (which are pinned with the opposite lean direction as the monochords), appears to be in very healthy condition.  I have limited experience with Knights and would appreciate your consult on two questions:

1) The hammer return springs are the sling-on-the-butt-flange style.  Has anyone out there seen these fail with age and/or used a la Yamaha?  If so, is there anything different about the replacement procedure?

2) Knight is now out of business.  The action parts look a bit unusual.  Does anyone know if replacement parts are available, should we need them down the road?

Thanks, and Happy labor Day,

Alan Eder