advice about used Knight

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sun Sep 3 11:49:51 MDT 2006

Hi Alan

I think you will find the sling on the butt spring type has no worse
failure rate then any other type of spring of comparable size and
material. As for the application (i.e. hammer return) perhaps it is a
little less vunerable to damage caused by folks sticking diverse sorts
of tools in the action for adjustments.  I prefer them myself.. but I
know a lot of stateside techs who prefer the rail.  The strings they
hook onto can break from time to time... tho the repair is quite quick
and easy. Replacing the springs is not really difficult either... every
bit (if not more so) then replacing a single broken spring on the rail
type of solution.

As for Knight parts... Measuring part allow you to find reasonably close
matches through Renner at least.

Cheers
RicB

 Hi List,

A client had me look at a Knight upright.  It's about 30 years old, has
been played very little, and aside from some minor cracking at the bass
bichord bridge pins (which are pinned with the opposite lean direction
as the monochords), appears to be in very healthy condition.  I have
limited experience with Knights and would appreciate your consult on two
questions:

1) The hammer return springs are the sling-on-the-butt-flange style.
Has anyone out there seen these fail with age and/or used a la Yamaha?
If so, is there anything different about the replacement procedure?

2) Knight is now out of business.  The action parts look a bit unusual.
Does anyone know if replacement parts are available, should we need them
down the road?

Thanks, and Happy labor Day,

Alan Eder