LA Times article

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 4 04:03:38 MDT 2006

Sounds like a rebuttal letter or interview should be the next move for the
LA Times to print.  Get going LA techs, here's your opportunity to take a
stance to create some  fair and balance informational reporting.
Although I too found some pretty big tall-tail, story telling issues in this
story, I'm going give Mr. Elliot a small pass.  First of all , I doubt if he
called the Times and asked for an interview. Probably it was a writer who
happened to be in the stage area, needed a story, ran into Mr. Elliot, and
before you know it, there's a story. Factual or not.... a story. And if you
do have that type of position taking care of important halls, your skill
aren't too shabby! And   like it or not, die-hard aural tuners still find
the use of ETD as a sign of artistic void. Anyone who uses doesn't deserve
to be in this position.
To Mr. Elliot's defense, I have been interviewed dozens of times for feature
articles by our Tri- county newspapers. Each and every time, the journalist
ended up getting the message wrong....way wrong.  It is as though they never
got it from me in the first place.
That being said, I found it humorous to walk through the logic on his 10
min. interlude as he blessed the piano and pronounced it fit for the artist.
In all actuallality the series of events went more like this.
Blessed tech raced through his first tuning earlier that day. Tech probably
not on top of his game(that day). Been there done that.
Artist banged the hell out of it during rehearsal
Artist expected a follow up touch up of tuning prior to concert
No Tech returns
Artist is getting nervous
Artist calls to complain
Tech summoned to get the hell over here pronto
Tech arrives 10 mins. prior to concert
Tech has sweat running down both eye brows hoping this doesn't issue doesn't
get back Steinway
Tech cleans up some unisons
Tech gets an evil stare from the Artist and Carnegie staff
Carnegie staff informs him this better not happen again
5 yrs later, Tech rewrites the events of the day....fails to include why
things went wrong, who was wrong, and includes more heroics to dress up
story.
6 yrs later, article appears in newspaper.
Tom Servinsky