Grand damper configuration

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Mon Sep 4 14:46:46 MDT 2006

List, the tenor area of grand trichords are fitted with various configurations of damper felt. I have seen:
-a dozen or so trichord felt front and back, then just flats front and back
-half a dozen trichord front and back, then a dozen or so mixed (trichords in front and flats in back), then flats front and back

and I have seen, along with the above variations:
-front and back damper felts of equal length
-front felts about 7/8" and back felts about 1/2"

[I am using "front" to mean closest to keyboard, "back" to mean closest to tail .. is that also "proximal" and "distal" respectively?]

Question: When replacing grand dampers, should I just copy what was done before, or is there a "best practice" here that trumps whatever may have been done before?

Thx
Jason Kanter