LA Times article

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Mon Sep 4 11:25:58 MDT 2006

Hi Dave.

Maybe in their concert and artist section... but they used those PT
109's or whatever Yamahas machine was quite often and it seemed like an
awful lot of street techs over there had them.  Funny too... they (at
the Acadamy in Hamatsu) had the same basic experience with tuners who'd
come outside Japan and had learned to tune by machine first... nearly
always the person hadnt learned how to tune by ear.

I dont think and never have thought the "To ETD or NOT to ETD"
discussion is as black and white as its nearly always presented here.
Fact is there are several pitfalls that are very easy to fall into... if
not hard to avoid in using ETD's.  The position taken by our Steinway
friends in my mind is at least as much a recognition of that as it is
anything else.  Some may be quick to attribute their position to
arrogance... but they have more a point IMHO then many of these same are
willing to admit.  Just spend a few conventions doing nothing but
helping out in the exams rooms....

Its kind of funny that this particular discussion came right on top of
the heals of the one about associates getting bent out of shape about
the use of the logo.... :)

Cheers
RicB

    David Ilvedson writes:
    For that matter anyone associated with Yamaha...tuner wise...salary
    etc. must tune by ear...at least that is what I ascertained at my
    Yamaha seminar...
    I'm sure most of the factory technicians in Europe all tune by ear,
    thus can fix clicks, also...
    I would imagine our esteemed friend David Andersen knows this
    fellow?  Dave's probably off on holiday for the weekend and has
    missed the drama...

    David Ilvedson, RPT
    Pacifica, CA  94044

    RicB writes:

     >I have to chuckle a bit about the whole discussion.  Doesnt take
    much to
     >get the boys in the band steaming. But to be honest... arrogance
    abounds
     >both here and in the world at large.  In this particular case...
    anyone