Hammer weighting...Was Arbor Press

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Wed Sep 6 02:42:34 MDT 2006

Hi David I.

I have had the same thoughts as Joe for quite some time.  Especially
since I have several jobs here at the university I've had a chance to
keep an eye on through some years. I've done no formal studies, but it
looks like hammers leaded only halfway through develope loose centers on
the opposite side of the flange as a result. Could easily be just me
projecting a suspicion onto things... but then again perhaps not. Given
the usage levels here at the UiB, and the amount of heavy play... well a
more formal look see would have to be in order.

I dont find boring all the way through a problem. You dont need more
then a very slight tap to anchor the lead in the hammer.  In fact a good
way to get the feel of how much you actually need is to use a small
piece of lead that will fill up only half the hole and tap it only very
lightly on one side, then flip it over and tap the other side... repeat
until you cant move it in the hole anymore. Takes no time to get real
quick at centering the lead in the hammer.

Cheers
RicB

David Ilvedson querries:

What does the List think of 1/2 way holes rather than all the way
through? 2 1/2 holes equals one through for about the same weight...."

David,
I should think that the 1/2 way through would put the hammer in a bit of
a inertial imbalance. <G> (worth a thought, I think.)
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I