Hammer weighting...Was Arbor Press

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 6 03:56:40 MDT 2006

Hi, Ric and David and all.

I missed the earlier discussion a couple years ago, but I've had a
thought which might pertain to this. I think it might be good to
position the weight in the tail of the hammer _below_ the shank when
possible, as opposed to in the molding above the shank. The reason is
that this way, the shank is pulling the weight behind it, instead of
pushing it ahead. If you think of the phrase, "You can't push a rope,"
it might help illustrate, albeit imperfectly. Or if you balance a broom
stick on your palm, you have to be very accurate about keeping your palm
directly under the broomstick, if you try to accelerate it upward. But
if you hang the weight below (or behind) the motivating force, it just
trails along behind like a good little caboose. I think (just guessing,
really) this would have a calming effect on the hammer's behavior,
possibly more so than finessing where relative to the center line the
weight is exactly (when it's above the shank, that is). Do you have any
thoughts on this?

-Mark Schecter