Bridge Seating (was Re: Where to notch a bridge, & relative effects ????? (Advice sought)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Sep 7 19:10:07 MDT 2006

> Would you also say this about brand new, out of the box pianos that have
> had nothing done to them since they left the factory in Japan? I have 9
> of those that came in yesterday! :-) Never been in a store or anything!
> Just wondering if it would do any good to do a little "seating" on
> those! I've been doing some "prep" tuning just to make them usable but
> the next time, do you think I should do a little "seating" before I
> tune? The three I tuned today, I noticed a few false beats but nothing
> really serious.
>
> Avery

The point of all I've written about this stuff is that strings
don't "un-seat" from bridges in the first place, so no, I
don't think it's called for. If you must, push down on a
string at the bridge pin with your thumb nail. If that doesn't
clear up your false beat (for the moment), then no amount of
further seating will either, and you haven't damaged anything
trying. That's still my call.
Ron N