Where to notch a bridge, & relative effects ????? ( Advice sought )

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Sep 7 20:52:26 MDT 2006

You've already received a number of responses to this but just to add my two
cents (maybe even a nickel).  After checking to be sure the bearing will be
fine (of course), I first sand the top flat to the bottom of the existing
string grooves.  Then I renotch the bridge to the center of the bridge pin
line (or slightly behind but not in front).  You can check this more easily
by shining a light across the bridge top which will make the notch line more
visible.  Then I coat the top of the bridge with clear coat epoxy (thin).  I
also brush the notches and swab a bit in the holes with a toothpick (don't
fill them up, just swab the inside of the hole lighlty.  Then I wipe the
excess off the notches.  After it cures I sand back the bridge top again
with fine paper (320 and then 400) trying not to sand completely through the
epoxy.  Then I redrill the bridge pin holes with the appropriate size drill.
I use #7 pins in the capo section, #8s in the rest of the tenor, #9 is for
the bass bichords, and #10s for the monochords.  I don't use #6s.  If you
don't epoxy the cap, you can't redrill without risking some chipping.  After
the redrilling I go through with a chisel again and just make sure that the
notch is clean with no epoxy build up past the line of the notch.  Then a
lightly dip the tip of the pin and drive them in leveling the pins as I go.
With a pipe cleaner and a rag I wipe off all the excess epoxy.  After that
cures I shoot the bridge cap and pins with a couple of light coats of satin
lacquer or semi gloss lacquer.  I don't file the tops of the pins.  Makes
for a solid pin in a hardened bridge cap.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com