Bridge Seating (was Re: Where to notch a bridge, & relative effects ????? (Advice sought)

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Fri Sep 8 02:25:02 MDT 2006

Hi David,

It depends on whether the there is negative bearing at some spot on the
bridge surface or not.  There are those who seem to think that if there
measurable positive bearing everywhere on the bridge surface then the
string can not possibly find itself away from the bridge surface. This
is simply not true. In that case string seating is both necessary and
appropriate.  You see this quite frequently on new out of the box
instruments. But one should exercise care here. If you look at the
journal article I wrote a year back on the subject you'll see what I mean.

Also... assuming any destructive string seating has not gone to far to
re-establish string contact and positive bearing along the whole of the
bridge,  judicious taping along the high spots or the bridge only can
solve that problem.

Cheers
RicB

IMHO...If I tap a string on a bridge (I tap in front of the bridge pin
in the speaking length)  and it moves down...how can it have not
un-seated from the bridge?

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044