Where to notch a bridge, & relative effects ????? ( Advice sought )

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Fri Sep 8 02:18:42 MDT 2006

Hi Paul, and Terry.

That was basically my reaction.  That said I know Terry pretty well and
I think I understand where he was comming from.  A question in my mind
is raised from these posts tho...

Assuming one has acceptable/desirable downbearing with the bridge as it
is, and only want to dress up the notch and bridge pin holes,.... why
bother planing down the string grooves ?  If one is worried about the
string groove being too low behind the bridge pin... then one must have
also registered negative bearing at that spot. If that be the case then
sanding down most certainly can change the bearing situation.  On the
other hand... if there is no negative bearing at or around the notch
itself... then the string leaves the notch and the pin at the same spot
or the string leaves the wood before the pin. So why bother with the
bridge surface itself ?

Strikes me (and always has) that the natural (non excessively induced by
over active hormonal type string seaters) string grooves are a pluss for
a couple reasons. One, they tend to equalize the downwards force on the
bridge (front to back) and two the already compressed wood acts as an
inhibitant to further compression. I wonder also if they tend to stop on
their own after a bit ...there is a point where downwards force from the
pins and upwards resistance by the wood of the bridge being held up by
crown tends to be equal in the sense that natural grooving can no longer
occur due to lack of enough conflicting forces.  That happens well
before 0 bearing.

Cheers
RicB

Cheers
RicB

 > Geeezzzzzz, here's another one!

Our points (even though I should speak only for myself), I think, Terry,
were
that the bridge repair by itself as a solution to an unclearly stated
problem
may, without other data, create unintended consequences. Recommending a
procedure devoid of context is perilous, particularly the context of a
piano.:-)

PRJ