=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_Bridge_Seating_(was_Re:_Where_to_notch_a_bridge, &_relative_effects_?????_(Advice_sought)?=

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Sep 8 06:49:47 MDT 2006

> Let me see if I'm clear on this...the front edge of the notch has been crushed by humidity increases and decreases on this brand new Yamaha grand piano.   That is why when I tap the string it drops?   SIGH...
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT

Do you think the piano hasn't experienced a humidity change
since it was strung? Have you taken a string off of a brand
new bridge and checked it for visible damage? Have you taken
off the string next to it after you have seated it, and
inspected the bridge cap for damage? Have you tried just
fingernail pressure to minimize damage? I realize that you and
a whole lot of other techs will ever stop seating strings
(with recent Journal photo as evidence), but I had hoped that
after all the list discussion and demonstrations some would
have given it some consideration.
Ron N