=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_Bridge_Seating_(was_Re:_Where_to_notch_a_bridge, &_relative_effects_?????_(Advice_sought)?=

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Fri Sep 8 09:18:13 MDT 2006

I cant speak for others of course, but for myself I can say that I have
done exactly all these things on quite a few instruments since this
theme first came to my attention. I find that in frequent instance the
claim that strings can not be unseated in the face of a bridge face
whose entire surface is above the line of deflection to be in error.  I
find unseated strings in spite of this frequently on new instruments
right out of the box.

Its fairly easy to do a quick and dirty check... just loosen a string
and run some 15 lb fishing line from the tuning pin to the hitch pin and
pull it taught.  Take a magnifying glass and look carefully at any area
of the bridge surface you have reason to question.  I have yet to find a
new instrument with anything close to a problem in this regard.  Yet I
have found many of these same with unseated strings.   The same can be
said about older instruments but to a lesser degree.

For my part, I will be the first to emphasize the need to be careful and
judicious with any string seating one does. And I will also be the first
to agree that when the bridge no longer can provide a positive bearing
plane for the string to seat on that string seating is only a very
temporary fix that easily can worsen the real problem.  But I can not
simply disregard what obvious and elementary observation clearly
displays... that strings can and do indeed need seating in many
instances where there is a positive bearing plane for the string.

As far as giving the notion serious consideration.. I give the list as a
whole a bit more credit for sincerity me thinks.  Several off list
correspondances with list contributers reveal to me a fairly large gang
of serious minded inquisitive technicians.  For those of you who have
not done some real piano situation checks of these questions I echo
Rons'  encouragement that you do so.  No point taking anything anyone
says for granted.

Cheers
RicB

 > Let me see if I'm clear on this...the front edge of the notch has
been crushed by humidity increases and decreases on this brand new
Yamaha grand piano.   That is why when I tap the string it drops?   SIGH...

 > David Ilvedson, RPT

Do you think the piano hasn't experienced a humidity change
since it was strung? Have you taken a string off of a brand
new bridge and checked it for visible damage? Have you taken
off the string next to it after you have seated it, and
inspected the bridge cap for damage? Have you tried just
fingernail pressure to minimize damage? I realize that you and
a whole lot of other techs will ever stop seating strings
(with recent Journal photo as evidence), but I had hoped that
after all the list discussion and demonstrations some would
have given it some consideration.
Ron N