Bridge Seating (was Re: Where to notch a bridge, & relative effects ????? (Advice sought)

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Sep 9 07:37:54 MDT 2006

Hi

I thought for those of you who were interested the following link might
be instructive.
http://www.pianostemmer.no/brekne/referhtml/stringseating.html  . After
reading the short article, take a closer gander at figures 3,4 and 5.

Figure 5 depicts the (only) situation that renders string seating
basically useless. Figures 3 and 4 show where string seating will be
appropriate and useful.  As to the whether or not it is possible for the
situations in figure 3 and 4 to occur let me just say this.  I can
understand why some can have difficulty in accepting these as possible.
Especially figure 4 is difficult to accept. It seems so counter
intuitive. Pin angles, friction moments, and down bearing  all would
seem to conspire to prohibit this condition.  Yet it is a fact that it
can and does occur.  As for figure 3... there really should be no doubt
as to the possibility of this occurring.  Aggressive string seating out
on the speaking length will nearly immediately cause this condition to
some degree or another. The roll off of the string groove can be steep
enough for the strings to unseat at the pin. Yet the entire surface of
the bridge  (including the notch edge) is still above the line of
deflection.  String seating in this case should be directed at smoothing
out the string indentation so that it more closely parallels the line of
deflection. This is  IMHO why it is important to seat behind the bridge
pin on the bridge surface itself.

The valid point that string seating opponents have in all this is
centered around the condition in figure 5.  There is no way any string
seating will result in a lasting fix. The concern is more then justified
as it is actually quite easy to cause this condition with many of the
string seating procedures being used by techs.  However it is also easy
enough to avoid creating the condition if one careful and mindful about
string seating.

String seating is not IMHO a tool to get rid of false beats.  It
addresses other types of falseness and unclarity.  False beats (that
self-beating string that reacts to sideways pressure by a screwdriver)
and their elimination are a different subject matter entirely me thinks.

Cheers
RicB