Bridge Seating / food for thought

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Sep 9 16:47:06 MDT 2006

Hi folks

I just thought I might throw some numbers around to look closer
math-wise at this idea that the wobbly pin can change the speaking
length enough to account for false beats.  Take the following wire.

0.9 mm diameter and 150 mm speaking length at a starting tension of
150.95  lbs This yields a frequency of  1218.93 Hz.

To get a  rougly 4 beat per second false beat this string needs to
change in length by  around 0.003 mm.   That would require the pin to
deflect  nearly 1 mm !!

It would take a 0.15 mm pin deflection to enable a 1 bps false beat.

Realistically a pin might be able to wobble say 0.02 mm. That would
yield only a 0.15 Hz change.  Not hearable really. On shorter strings
the change would be slightly (and I mean slightly) greater.  On longer
strings, less.

Seems to me that  it is obvious that  the pin can not wobble enough to
change the length and tension of the string enough to cause any false
beats at all.

There are other problems with this whole idea of wobbly pins causing
false beats.. such as the frequency of the supposed wobble itself... why
the significant side bearing hasn't already pushed the pin as far
sideways as is possible.... etc etc.. but the above in itself should be
enough to discard the idea.

Cheers
RicB