Bridge Seating / food for thought

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Sep 9 18:34:15 MDT 2006

Nice article JD

Tho it is really about a different related topic... it does have a
directly related paragraph.

As far as I can see that paragraph shows exactly what I've been saying.
The section Discussion of Physical Causes  outlines a general cause of
false beating along the lines of the wobbly pin model.  BUT then if goes
on to state that for a 1 meter string at 261 herz a 0.1 mm difference in
length would result in a false beat of around  1/40 th Hz !  Figure out
the amount of sideways wobble required to get that 0.1 mm difference in
length.  And as for the 80 mm long example C88 the article has that same
difference in length change (0.1 mm)

The only way the horizontal and vertical string lengths can be as much
as 0.1 mm different as a result of the pin moving is if the pin is
moving back and forth. Sideways... it has to move too much.

Otherwise... the article does raise some interesting thoughts about
bridge admittance. In general the notion of a string with anisotropic
localized boundary conditions at the bridge can get into several
issues.  The reading is a bit think for the most part and I'll need a
few readings to digest it fully.

Cheers
RicB