Sizing Key Mortises (was inconsistent rail pins)

Kenneth Jankura kenrpt at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 12 06:59:26 MDT 2006

List,

We've discussed this periodically for years. I posted about an
experiment I did for our chapter with a 1" drill bit and lots of 3/4"
x 6" x 6" blocks. It helps to think large and simple so as to get the
concepts.
Drill a hole. Soak the board in water. Drill bit fits through hole
without touching the sides.
Drill a hole. Oven dry board. Drill bit is so big you'll never
believe it once went through that tiny hole.
I did many configurations, like drill hole while wet, dry just a
little, etc.  Every instance follows the rule that the hole gets
smaller when humidity is less. (Actually because of grain
orientation, the hole becomes oblong and smaller.)
This presumes wood moisture content equilibrium, that is, in times of
rapid humidity increase, you might have a hole become slightly
smaller until the wood achieves equilibrium. Picture this. Drill a
hole, drop the board in water, the cells right around the hole swell
immediately and the drill bit won't fit through. When the whole board
takes on water equally, the drill bit will fit through the hole
without touching the sides. Try it.  Again, this is a gross over-
simplification, but in general, holds true like a law of nature.
Tuning pin tightness is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT scenario and doesn't
follow exactly what normal wood would do. Never confuse pinblock
behavior and normal wood behavior!
The cross ply grain orientation in the pinblock keeps the wood stable
except right along the outside edges where the wood cells are free to
shrink or enlarge (this includes the 'outside edges' around each
pin). So in low humidity the wood cells shrink only along the 'edges'
and the pins get loose. Vice versa in the summer. If the pinblock
were made out of one piece of wood, with no cross ply, the pins would
be tight in the winter and loose in the summer, just as what happens
with all the other wood.
And the wood technician who doesn't get this should read Hoadley
again for a refresher. It has been my experience that Steinway teflon
bushing flanges click like crazy in the summer as they flop around in
the humidity-enlarged flange holes, and they get really tight in the
winter as the holes shrink and squeeze the bushings.
I hope this helps clear things up a little.

Ken Jankura RPT
Newville PA