Sizing Key Mortises (was inconsistent rail pins)

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Tue Sep 12 04:07:06 MDT 2006

Hi folks

I always liked the balloon analogy.  Take a balloon and and blow it half
way up. Then with a tush pen draw a bunch of equal sized circles all
over its surface.  When you then further expand the balloon what happens
to the circles (holes) ?  And what happens when you let the air out a
bit (contraction).

This analogy came up a few years back when we were scatching our heads
about comparing summer/winter tuning pin tightnesses.

Cheers
RicB