The Frame Game (again)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Sep 12 09:04:48 MDT 2006

> See picture. This is a 1916 Willard player (rebuilt) that is in pretty
> good shape except it turned out to have a block separating from the back
> frame. Rats. I know some will counsel to fall back 10 yards and punt,
> but this is really not a walk-away situation. By the way, the fold-back
> case lid was removed with a 2 1/2 sledge "cushioned" by a block of
> pinblock material (top plate of my pinblock support tool); brutal but
> effective, thanks Ron Nossman.

You're welcome, but I'm not sure it will have done you much
good in this case (pun notwithstanding). The beam is a piano
"tallerizer" that makes a smaller piano into a larger one by
adding altitude to the lid. It's either to justify a higher
price, or to make room in the case for the air motor and
spoolbox of a player. Maybe both. Universal, Marantz, Aeolian,
and plenty of others I'm not thinking of at the moment did it,
though they typically didn't waste wood by filling the gap
between the top of the pinblock and the bottom of the lid.
What you really need a look at is what's under that beam,
which will require some dissection (demolition). I'd probably
want the string tension down for that one. Alternately, you
could drill through lower on the plate, and put bolts through
the real pinblock and back posts to suck the thing back
together, and issue written disclaimers. While the hardware in
these repairs is what is realistically doing the work, rather
than the glue, I'd still prefer getting glue in there in
places that it might actually help. The "S" labeled areas in
the photo are likely filler blocks that are no longer glued to
anything but the "tallerizer", and rotated up with it. Getting
a look at it, and getting glue to it will require disassembly.

My call is, I'd want to take it apart further to SEE the
mistakes I was making.
Ron N