CP60, (& 70 & 80)

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 12 11:43:14 MDT 2006

Terry, the Farrell said: "Indeed you are correct - no soundboard - it needs an amp. It will sound like
a piano version of a solid-body electric guitar without an amp. However,
even though it would be nicer to have an amp, I have tuned a couple CP-70s
without an amp - its doable. The lack of amplifier is less a challenge than
the scale."

Yes, they do need an amplifier, IF you are not using an ETD. However, be aware that an amplifier adds another layer of EQ annomolies that I choose not to want to contend with. If you have to use an amplifier, set all the settings on "flat". Tis' better to add a good microphone, if the ETD can't "hear" the strings adequately, IMO.
As for the "scale", I've evaluated them and have found that the Scale is actually well thought out and predictable. They are just different, in regards to what we normally have trained ourselves to "listen" to, in the tuning process. It is far better to tune these with an ETD, IMO.
I agree with you, Terry, they are really "cool" and I wish that Yamaha had continued with this technology. Ah, the possibilities....endless, IMO.
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I