CP 60-70-80's

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 12 20:26:04 MDT 2006

Ron said: "They ARE cool, they WERE an excellent answer to a need for
portability, but they always WERE and still ARE nasty sounding
things, without getting into any emotional issues of acoustic
piano purity. They're untunable and unvoicable. That's what
*I* think technicians have against them."

Ron,
I would disagree on the point of "untuneable". They can be tuned, but they won't fall into our little tuning "box" that we are comfortable with. The scales are actually well thought out and most of the harmonics do a good job of coinciding. The big issue is that they are better tuned with an ETD than by ear IMO   (darn puter keeps doing weird things at this point  caps goes haywire  perhaps the puter doesn"t like what i"m writing   go figger)
As for voicing, there some small voicing capabilities, but that was intended to be compensated for with the amplifier EQ.
As for how they sound. Years ago, Del and I experimented with a Baldwin "electric" dissaster thingee. I dragged my big Bass amp in, (high quality thingee), and we hooked it up. That POS actually sounded good through a good amp! Another go figger.<G> I think the same applies to the CP thingees. A high quality amp will make them sound better than they have a right to, IMO.
Just my experience with these.
Best Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police