CP 60-70-80's

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Sep 12 21:37:01 MDT 2006

> Ron,
> I would disagree on the point of "untuneable". They can be tuned, but
> they won't fall into our little tuning "box" that we are comfortable
> with. The scales are actually well thought out and most of the harmonics
> do a good job of coinciding.

The bass, for instance, is truly and inescapably wretched. The
rest of it is much like any spinet, for which the assessment
of "tunability" is a matter of generosity. The two string
unisons are, however, a definite plus. The damage can be done
in minimum time, making the income/aggravation ratio positive.

>The big issue is that they are better tuned
> with an ETD than by ear IMO   (darn puter keeps doing weird things at
> this point  caps goes haywire  perhaps the puter doesn"t like what i"m
> writing   go figger)

I've tuned most of the ones I've done, including the one last
week, aurally, without amplification. Can't help with what
your computer thinks about your writing though. Sorry, I have
my own battles with mine and the spell checker.

> As for voicing, there some small voicing capabilities, but that was
> intended to be compensated for with the amplifier EQ.

Or ignored altogether, as is usual. It *is* rock & roll, after
all.

> As for how they sound. Years ago, Del and I experimented with a Baldwin
> "electric" dissaster thingee. I dragged my big Bass amp in, (high
> quality thingee), and we hooked it up. That POS actually sounded good
> through a good amp! Another go figger.<G> I think the same applies to
> the CP thingees. A high quality amp will make them sound better than
> they have a right to, IMO.
> Just my experience with these.

And the above is mine.

Sleep tight, Joe.